Friday, November 9, 2012

back at home base

Today is Friday and I'm glad to be back home at our office. During the storm I went to a shelter a hs near my home and I went to the main office in long island city and I have to tell you that it was stressful especially when the trains weren't working to go up here I'd take a 45 min ride on the bus that was jammed packed and you know it's bad when you get on a bus at the beginning at the route and you can't get a seat. When the trains were restored travel became much easier but our stay at the main office was not a good one. These people play by a different set of rules there's a dress code tons of ridiculous rules and they were very territorial unwelcoming and rude. We couldn't laugh talk etc. we were told to "whisper" seriously are we in kindergarten?? @@. There were days I was bored to tears at this place with nothing to do and systems people trying to upload our systems we work on so I was mainly doing two functions of my job. I was tired of the lack of good places to eat as this place is literally in the middle of no where by the queensborough bridge. I decided to get creative and go to mcdonalds.com and I hopstopped and there was a place in Sunnyside 2 stops away on the train so to ease the boredom and have a change of scenery I pitched the idea to a co worker and we went over there tons of stores, pharmacy and choices for lunch. We ate Mcdonald's and I was finally able to have free wifi access with no password required. The nor easter was bad weather we got snow but with the sunny yet cold weather most of it has melted away but due to me wanting to keep my feet warm and my injured foot I'm still wearing my boots. Thursday evening I was relieved to leave that office for the day @4 pm and I headed to my therapist appointment where I killed time in duane reade and rite aid and walked to my appt. I usually let it all out all of my stresses etc. When I left my appointment and I saw the email that we can report back to our office I was happy I called a co worker to let her know and now that I'm here I think I will never complain again about this place b/c you start to realize how good you have it once you don't have something for a few days. The train system is slowly but surely getting back to normal but the north east has a long way to go before everyone rebuilds and recovers from this storm. NYC alone damages are about $33 million. It's 1:00 and I'm off to lunch and I will try to stay warm out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment