Thursday, April 25, 2013

Jimmy for mayor

Jimmy for mayor: Jimmy McMillan is running for mayor.

I remember this guy and I thought he was hilarious but you know what he's got a point. The rent is too damn high.  It is very expensive to live in NYC these days and no rent in my opinion should be the cost of an average mortgage payment especially when you're never going to own it.  Do costs rise yes they do but why should I have to pay off someone's mortgage or some greedy building owner's ridiculous costs?  Rent is eating up at least half of people's salaries these days and something has to be done about creating more affordable housing that is accessible to New Yorkers.  The affordable housing options these days are ridiculous they're not in sync with today's cost of living and rent prices.  Everything is going up but your paycheck.  Gentification doesn't help this and I'm totally against it and I see a little bit of it neighboring brooklyn and in some parts of Queens.  No one should be priced out of their neighborhood if those hipsters want to live nice let them stay in the city or Brooklyn Heights but don't price out working class people out of neighborhoods where sometimes people have live for many years and are also elderly and can't afford to live any place else.   I was almost evicted twice once when me and my ex were still together and now that I'm on my own with my son.  It's an embarrasing and demoralizing experience to ask social services for help and it took me months to finally get approved for a one shot deal to cover my back rent b/c with a rent of 1,263 per month plus utilities food phone babysitting, etc. 30,000 is a year just not enough these days.  I don't want to hear budget better if I cut out anything else I will be without a TV and a kerosene lamp and it's ridiculous plus TV is a single parent's saving grace sometimes especially when you need to make some dinner or get things done around the house. This is why I have considered moving to New Jersey where the rents are much lower and affordable b/c I'm tired of struggling with these outrageous prices and apartments that aren't even worth the ridiculous prices they're charging not freshly painted clean and renovated.  I live in a 3 floor tenement building that's in desperate need of renovations and this man still has the nerve to charge these ridiculous rents.  They also make me laugh with jobs with a living wage 9, 10 an hr? really here in NYC where a studio can run 1,000 a month is some places it's stupid and unrealisitic I say let these stupid officials try to live off the stupidity they want to enforce the working class people to do and see if they make it I doubt they'd be so lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment