Tuesday, October 30, 2012

hurricane sandy aftermath

We got through the storm safely no power outages or damage which I'm relieved. I can't believe how much damage this hurricane has caused I think it's worse than hurricane Irene. There are tons of people without power, the rockaways got hammered with property damage house fires, some of the boardwalks gone. Public transportation took a beating with many MTA stations flooded and NJ transit flooded many other types of transportation are not even running. They're expecting to start running limited bus service but that won't help no one who has to commute into the city like most new yorkers do. They're predicting 4-5 day the MTA will be running again but there is no exact time line and this is extremely stressful as I have no time at work to cover me and our mayor was expecting all of us to make in to work regardless of the weather conditions yet in his press conferences he's telling people to stay safe and stay home I can't believe that this man is expecting us to go out there and risk our lives to make to headquarters or go to a shelter. This is something that was out of everyone's control as most natural disasters are and we should all be paid as far as I'm concerned. I got an email stating that the contingency planned had been suspended so imagine if I or anyone had tried to attempt to go to headquarters and it was closed oh I would have gone ballistic. This is not the way to treat your employees especially in the bad economic climate we are in now and many people are living paycheck to paycheck they can't afford not to get paid b/c everyone has bills to pay, rent to pay, etc. etc. Yesterday we got lots of rain and heavy winds it was not safe to sleep in my room due to it faces the street and there's trees near so I slept in jr's room and jr refused to sleep with me so he went to sleep with his grandmother. Yesterday I caught up on some sleep which I really needed. It can get boring being stuck in four walls so today I took a walk around the neighborhood to see how everything was here and there was minimal damage except for one big tree that was broken into pieces in the park which has yellow caution tape around it and the gate of the park. I would've walked around to see more but it started to rain and I had no umbrella so I came back home but this storm has caused extensive damage and it will be quite a while till we are totally back to normal so we will see what the next few days bring. I hope that if they predict anything like this next year they will be better prepared to deal with it and as far our pay goes I will be presenting my gripe to the union this mayor has no regard or respect for us as workers and someone needs to put him in his place.

No comments:

Post a Comment