Wednesday, October 31, 2012

restoring service and rebuilding

As I look at the news I realize how grateful we are in this area of Queens that we didn't suffer the immense amount of damage that our neighbors in the Rockaways did and the people of Jersey and Long Island. I feel sorry for so many people displaced from their homes and are with out power and the basic neccesities. Our president wanted to make a trip to NYC to view the damage of the storm and I cannot believe that the mayor was so unprofessional and rude and dissed him from coming into the city as if the Commanding Chief needs his freaking approval to come in and visit, does this idiot realize that our city needs as much federal help as we can get to restore and rebuild our city and the neighboring areas. I look at the areas of lower manhattan on the news and some of the train stations look like rivers inside. I think that people going to these shelters is ridiculous to get paid is ridiculous I showed up today at a shelter which is the local hs of this area and there was nothing to do there were very few evacuees there most of the evacuees are going to be in the queens hs closest to the rockaways and water front areas of brooklyn. We are in queens but we are inland. I guess if Mr. Bloomberg wants to pay us for doing nothing let him go ahead. It's a typical halloween fall day over here very cold and windy. They say sometimes travelling within your own borough is harder than hopping on the train and going into the Manhattan, I felt embarrassed that I got lost trying to find this hs but eventually I did and I signed in and we just sat there talking watching tv and went out for lunch @ 12:30. we were signed out at 3:30. Buses are running with delays and the MTA is being slowly restored and there is no power in the downtown area so I'm wondering when we will back in our office again and if they close this shelter will they send us to headquarters office. I don't mind taking the bus up there but my co worker does it's a long ride but it's either that or don't get paid. Tomorrow I will plan better leave earlier and pack my laptop to keep myself entertained while I'm there. I never imagined this storm would cause this amount of damage during our lunch break we came across a down power line on cross walk light I can't believe no one called Con Ed to report it so we had to stand away from it. Hoping as the days pass more progress is made to get things back on track. Sometimes we take the boring mundane routine for granted especially when disasters like this happen that throw everyone off track.

No comments:

Post a Comment