Monday, October 15, 2012

MTA to outline fare, toll hike proposals - New York News | NYC Breaking News

MTA to outline fare, toll hike proposals - New York News | NYC Breaking News

When I read this I can't say that I'm surprised but I'm also infuriated.  MTA is always crying poor and I can't see how they're always in the red and have all of these budget short falls with the amount of ridership in this city probably even increasing due to the always rising prices of gas.  I ride the subway monday-friday to work and the buses occassionally after work and on weekends and I have to say that their service is lack luster, late, dirty smell trains buses, over flowing trash cans in some stations, overcrowded and late buses I take the Q58 in queens and there are sometimes 30 people waiting for that bus and only one will show up and passengers don't help either with their rudeness like trying to squeeze into a bus where the driver has told you it's reached capacity, trying to get a lcd tv on the bus (yes you read right an hd tv and a large one at that) people are just plain stupid and selfish if I could afford a nice tv then perhaps I should not be ghetto fabulous and budget in some cab money just a thought @@.  Anyways I went off topic but none of what I see merits a fair increase at all we are already struggling economically paying outrageous rents for apartments that aren't even worth it, utilities keep going up, food goes up, it's getting to the point where people are going to be priced out of this city.  When I started working the monthly metro card was $63 a month now it's $104 a month and now they want to raise it yet again, and take away the 7% discount which isn't really much but something is better than nothing.  I think the MTA has a lot of projects going on like extending the #7 train to 34 St 12 Ave, the 2nd Ave subway line, etc. and they want to shoulder all of those costs on the people of this city which is totally unfair in my opinion.  I think for the amount of money we pay we should have clean trains free of garbage, service that is running on time, train stations that are in good condition not in need of tons of repairs, more police presence to combat subway crimes, and people acting like idiots then I wouldn't mind paying a little more b/c we'd betting getting something worth paying for but I'm not seeing it and I know millions of others aren't either.  Another thing is the MTA employees are getting greedier we all want a raise and good benefits but in these current times should you really be asking for more? We've been without a contract since 2009 and you don't see us threatening to strike when things don't go our way.  Although they don't mention I also think this is a reason for the increase to be able to afford salary increases, etc.  the hearings will be next week and the proposals unveiled soon let's see what options they give the people to look at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment