Monday, January 17, 2011

mlk day and politics overall

Today was MLK day and most people just see it as another day off.  I looked on my cell phone today to see various news links and blogs in his honor and I clicked on one that had a you tube link of his famous I have a dream speech and I listened to the speech and it saddened me that this man had a vision of peace equality and respect for all people in this world and in a short span of time his life was ended by an assassin I think about how different the world could've been if he were still alive and he would've been able to continue his goal or if President Kennedy and his brother Robert were here the same? or would they have been saddened by the way today's world is.  The 1960's were a time of change and turmoil in this country and I think they really wanted to try and improve our world but the ignorance and intolerance and fear of change is what motivated people to plot what became their demise while they were the pioneers of this movement and this world has made a lot of progress since those days but there is still a lot of work to be done there's still a lot of hatred, discrimination and intolerance toward certain groups, the anti-immigration sentiment, etc.  sometimes it makes me think that it's just a different type of racism now that evolves with different issues and situations.  I know that nothing is gained with violence, hatred and intolerance and everyone loses.  It seems like these days you can't even have a conversation about politics without getting into a heated argument, fight, or worse a shooting.  I hope one day that people will see past race color religion and political affiliations and see one another as people with likes dislikes hopes and goals and we may not always agree with one another you can always agree to disagree I know I have there's a lot of peoples views I don't agree with and I respect them and they're entitled to have their opinions I don't get why that's so hard for some people.  Why would anyone want to live in a world where everyone looked the same, had the same political views, religious beliefs it would be a pretty boring world I think safer to someone but very boring to me and many others.  Diversity is a good thing I just wish people would see that.  If we don't explore and think outside the box, take risks, experiment we will never experience life.  Sometimes we make good choices and some bad but life experience isn't acheived by being perfect it's being human and being human is imperfect.  I think MLK visions lives in other people in our current time who try to emulate his works and his vision and hope things will one day start looking up instead of down as it's been these past few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment