Friday, July 8, 2011

District Mtg aftermath

After a very disappointing district mtg in which I was told by the two genuises in CPSE that my son doesn't qualify for a school setting or transportation and pretty much offered me no viable solutions as far as how I'd get my son to these speech therapy appointments when their local provider doesn't have late hours heaven forbid any provider works past 5 pm. these days I think it's very unfair to people who work full time jobs in order to stay afloat not to have hours and providers who will accommodate parents.  I think this is why some parents mothers in particular get fed up and say forget it this I'm staying home with my child or children b/c if there's one thing I learned from this mtg is No one will advocate for your child but YOU and The Board of Ed is nothing but a mismanaged, bureaucratic, incompetent organization full of incompetent employees who provide nothing to parents but the bare minimum of services and a lot of bs jargon and no real clear solutions.  You'd think this woman was going to pay for my son's transportation out of her own pocket and she clearly states she lives a few blocks away from me like I felt like saying "tell someone who cares".  I left that meeting feel angry, disappointed, and I feel had our service coordinator made it a priority to be there plus the cmsr from EI NONE of this would've happened.  Another thing that infuriated me was the fact that I was told that the service coordinator isn't "obligated" to be at meetings. As a parent and looking at the situation overall I've never heard of anything more ridiculous.  You're coordinating services for my child and working on their case yet you're not required to be at the meetings that will decide my child's fate totally idiotic in my opinion.  I didn't waste my time getting on the phone and called the Early Intervention Agency and making my displeasure known and demanding a replacement coordinator only to be told if I wanted to work with the previous one who was another incompetent I said NO so now I'm still waiting for a replacement.  I spent the evening faxing over paperwork and on the phone only for the next day to receive a call from the cmsr from Early Intervention this man offered no apology for not showing up to our child's meeting but says that our child is a bright child and the issue is the speech issues.  The Head Start thing was put out there again he gave web pages to look up and the rest was fluff.  I will not give up until my child receives the services he needs.  I just can't believe the lack of professionalism and organization of these people and it's a scary thought that these people are in charge of deciding the fate of many of NYC children.  Children and Educational Services should be a top priority for law makers, advocates, etc.  but it seems like they're making a whole bunch of cuts to service they need, it's sad that all they care is about numbers not results.   Our next mtg will be to get an increase in his speech therapy sessions I'm hoping that this mtg will have a better outcome than the CPSE one.

No comments:

Post a Comment